- Power of Attorney and Health Care Surrogate
- Medicaid Planning and Asset Protection
- Nursing Home Medicaid
- Veterans Benefits/Veterans and Surviving Spouses
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Wills and Trusts
- Special Needs Trusts
- Contested Wills and Trusts
- Protect Your Rights
- Get Organized
- Medicaid Eligibility
- Life Care Planning
- Speaking Engagements
Lance M. McKinney
Phone: (239) 939-4888 or (239) 325–2179
Fax: (239) 277-0601
I received my law degree with honors from the University of Florida in 1990. I have been a long standing member of both national (NAELA) and state (AFELA) associations of Elder Law attorneys. I am admitted to practice in all State courts in Florida and the Federal Middle District courts. In June 2005, the Florida Supreme Court certified me as a specialist in Elder Law after devoting much of my practice to this field and passing a test demonstrating my knowledge and abilities.
One of the areas that interests me the most is the law related to Guardianship. My involvement in this area has given me the opportunities to serve the citizens of this state and my community. The Florida State Guardianship Association (FSGA) has as its mission the protection of the dignity and rights of incapacitated persons and to increase the abilities of guardians throughout the State of Florida. I have served in both the State and Local chapters of FSGA since 2000 and had the privilege to help lead this organization since 2009. I have been approved by State Office of Public Guardianship to teach the 40 hour course for professional guardians and have been a trainer of the local guardianship Examining Committee appointed by our local Chief Judge.
I have also served my community by my involvement with our local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) chapter. People coping with mental illness and their families, face social stigma and gaps in resources in ways unique to this disability. Understanding the local resources and laws affecting these issues only come with long experience helping individuals.
To better serve my clients I have continued my studies since law school by earning the “Accredited Investment Fiduciary” AIF designation from the Center for Fiduciary Studies through the University of Pittsburgh. This helps me provide a holistic approach to representing my clients and not just provide a document that doesn’t address the underlying issues. I have also been accepted as a member to the “Special Needs Alliance” which is an invite only association of attorneys from across the nation that devote their practices to people dealing with disabilities finding and managing all resources available including government benefits. It is a privilege of mine to bring this collective wisdom to the benefit of my clients. I have also been accredited by the Veteran’s Administration to represent claimants for VA benefits.
My family and relationship with Jesus Christ is what keeps me devoted and centered on service to others. My wife Paula now also serves with me at the office in addition to rearing our two children – Liam and Riley.
Areas of Practice
Certified Legal Specialties
- Elder Law Attorney, The Florida Bar, 2005, Renewed 2010 & 2015
- Florida, 1991
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- Juris Doctorate with Honors – 1990
- Stetson University
- Bachelor of Science – 1986
- Major: Business Administration
Honors and Awards
- Received, AIF Designation from the Center for Fiduciary Studies through the University of Pittsburgh
- SuperLawyer designation 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018
- AVVO rating 10.0
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- The Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- The Florida Bar, Member
- The Lee County Bar Association, Member
- The Florida State Guardianship Association, Area Director, President Elect, and Legislative Chair
- Lee County Chapter of National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Board President